Serena Williams advances in Rogers Cup in Toronto
Updated: 2015-08-14 10:09
Serena Williams (USA) returns a ball against Andrea Petkovic (not pictured) during the Rogers Cup tennis tournament at Aviva Centre in Toronto, Aug 13, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
TORONTO - Top-ranked Serena Williams advanced to the Rogers Cup quarterfinals Thursday night, beating 16th-seeded Andrea Petkovic of Germany 6-3, 6-2.
The 21-time Grand Slam singles champion will face Italy's Roberta Vinci, a 6-4, 6-3 winner over Russia's Daria Gavrilova.
Williams won titles in Toronto titles in 2001, 2011 and 2013.
Second-seeded Simona Halep of Romania also advanced, outlasting 13th-seeded Angelique Kerber of Germany 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 in hot afternoon conditions. Halep will face sixth-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland, a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 winner over Alize Cornet of France.
In the late match, fifth-seeded Ana Ivanovic of Serbia played Slovenia's Polona Hercog.
- Three killed, 8 missing after fishing boat capsizing in S.Korea
- Migration crisis tears at EU's cohesion and tarnishes its image
- Britain signals move towards air strikes in Syria
- Snowden accepts Norwegian prize via video link
- Tokyo ditches Olympic logo amid new plagiarism allegation
- Japan criticized for protest over UN chief's visit to Beijing