Federer, Hingis to form Rio 2016 'dream team'
Updated: 2015-12-07 09:49
RIO DE JANEIRO - Roger Federer will team up with compatriot Martina Hingis to represent Switzerland at next year's Olympic Games in Rio, according to media reports.
Federer agreed to the mixed doubles partnership after Hingis proposed the idea earlier this year, Le Matin Dimanche newspaper reported on Sunday.
"Federer will play with Hingis. It's decided," said the newspaper, which dubbed the partnership a 'dream team'.
Between them, Federer, 34, and Hingis, 35, have won 22 Grand Slam singles titles. Hingis' last major singles victory came at the 1999 French Open while Federer's most recent Grand Slam triumph was the 2012 Wimbledon title.
The report added that Federer would also play the Rio 2016 men's doubles tournament alongside countryman Stan Wawrinka.
Hingis will contest the women's doubles with Belinda Bencic, the newspaper said.
- Locals have tradition of drying foods during harvest season
- Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei govts to cooperate on emissions control
- Web promotion of prostitution to be targeted
- Two more spells of smog predicted to sweep North China
- Glass bridge in grand canyon of Zhangjiajie under construction
- Road rage cases pose huge safety challenge