Reminiscing the relationship that once was
Updated: 2016-07-23 01:47
By Yu Ran in Shanghai(China Daily USA)
American women play a floating game of mahjong at a swimming pool in the US in 1924. American expatriate Joseph Park Babcock developed a love for mahjong while working for the Standard Oil Company in Suzhou, Jiangsu province. By the early 1920s, he created a version with simplified rules and began exporting mahjong sets – setting off a craze back home.
- Fashion of Queen Elizabeth on exhibition in London
- Hollande urges Britain to begin EU exit talks 'as soon as possible'
- Trump vows law and order if elected
- Chinese cuisine stuns Thai princess
- Security Council holds first secret poll on next UN chief selection
- Turkey's Erdogan declares state of emergency after coup bid