No new conditions raised by Taiwan: Philippine
Updated: 2013-05-26 19:58
MANILA - Philippine deputy presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte denied on Sunday that Taiwan had set new conditions for the investigation into the death of a Taiwan fisherman by Philippine Coast Guards.
She said in a radio interview that she talked to Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on the matter on Saturday night. And de Lima told her there are no new conditions, however, certain details still need to be firmed up.
Valte quoted de Lima as saying that an arrangement had been set and both the Philippines and Taiwan sides are just firming up certain details about the visit.
"At this point, we cannot yet disclose the agreed arrangement," she said, adding that no deadline had been set for the investigations so as not to sacrifice the quality of the probe.
Earlier, Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) Chairman Amadeo Perez said the Taiwan had raised new terms before it could allow the National Bureau of Investigations (NBI) team to visit Taiwan but refused to discuss it.
Taiwan earlier asked for the Philippine Coast Guard video on the shooting.
An elderly Taiwan fisherman died at sea after the Philippine Coast Guards fired with machine guns at the engine room of his fishing vessel on May 9.