US tells DPRK to refrain from provocation
Updated: 2014-05-23 11:03
|DPRK fires artillery near ROK's patrol ship|
"We urge North Korea to refrain from provocative actions that aggravate tensions and instead focus on fulfilling its international obligations and commitments," State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said at a daily news briefing.
The DPRK allegedly fired several rounds of artillery shells toward waters in ROK Thursday, and two of them fell near a ROK patrol ship sailing around the western maritime border, prompting the ROK side to fire back. No injuries and damage have been on the ROK patrol ship.
"We continue to urge North Korea to exercise restraint and take steps to improve its relations with its neighbors," Psaki said, adding Washington was "closely" monitoring the situation on the Korean Peninsula.
- Xinjiang publishes anti-terror brochures
- Security pact sealed with Afghanistan
- President Xi encourages international cultural exchanges
- Premier Li: China willing to help Afghan infrastructure
- Chinese FM: China, Asia-Pacific become community of shared destiny
- Foreign minister remarks on possibility of China-Japan summit