Russia, Cuba creating conditions for developing ties: Putin

Updated: 2014-07-12 17:44


  Print Mail Large Medium  Small 分享按钮 0


Russia, Cuba creating conditions for developing ties: Putin

Cuba's former President Fidel Castro (R) talks with Russia's President Vladimir Putin (L) during a meeting in Havana in this undated handout photograph released to Reuters on July 11, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]

HAVANA - Visiting Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that Russia and Cuba are creating new conditions for the development of their relations.

Putin made the remarks after meeting Cuban leader Raul Castro, Russia's Itar-Tass news agency reported from Havana.

During his one-day visit, the two countries signed 10 agreements to expand cooperation in energy, transportation, culture, industry and healthcare.

Under the deals, the two sides agreed on setting up a special regional training center for firefighters and emergency rescuers, and exchanging information on international security.

In the energy sector, Russia's state-run oil firm Rosneft and Cubapetroleo (Cupet) will cooperate in offshore oil exploration while Russia's Inter RAO Export company will help boost the generating capacity at a Cuban thermoelectric plant by building four 200-MW stations.

Russia has decided to forgive 90 percent of Cuba's debt to Moscow, the Kremlin press service said Friday. The remaining 10 percent of the debt will be restructured and paid over the next 10 years, and the money will be reinvested into the Cuban economy.

At a joint press conference, Raul Castro said forgiving the debt was "a new demonstration of the great generosity of the Russian people towards Cuba."

This is Putin's second visit to the island country since 2000.

Putin will travel on to Argentina and then Brazil to watch the football World Cup final.

He will remain in Brazil to take part in the 6th BRICS Summit of emerging economies -- Brazil, India, China, Russia and South Africa -- in the northeastern city of Fortaleza on July 15-16.

Russia, Cuba creating conditions for developing ties: Putin

Russia, Cuba creating conditions for developing ties: Putin

Putin slams Western containment policies, hails Russia-China ties  Last Soviet FM Shevardnadze dies 

Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next Page