Hagel calls French DM over Iraq situation
Updated: 2014-07-16 10:44
WASHINGTON - US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel spoke over the phone with his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian on Tuesday to discuss events unfolding in Iraq, a Pentagon spokesman said.
John Kirby said in a statement that Hagel provided Le Drian an update on the situation in Iraq, to include the political dynamics in Baghdad and a general sense of the security environment.
"Hagel and Le Drian also discussed the deep US-French defense cooperation in Africa, as well as preparations for the NATO summit in Wales in September," the spokesman said.
The two ministers agreed to keep in close contact on a broad range of security issues, and to speak again soon, according to the statement.
Hagel and Le Drian met during the D-Day commemorations in Paris on June 7.
- Xinjiang publishes anti-terror brochures
- Security pact sealed with Afghanistan
- President Xi encourages international cultural exchanges
- Premier Li: China willing to help Afghan infrastructure
- Chinese FM: China, Asia-Pacific become community of shared destiny
- Foreign minister remarks on possibility of China-Japan summit