US orders airliners to avoid eastern Ukraine airspace
Updated: 2014-07-18 12:51
|Live reporting: Malaysian plane downed in Ukraine|
FAA said the restricted area includes the entire Simferopol and Dnepropetrovsk flight information regions.
"This action expands a prohibition of US flight operations issued by the FAA in April, over the Crimean region of Ukraine and adjacent areas of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov," FAA said in the notice.
No scheduled US airlines are currently flying routes through this airspace, it said.
A Malaysian flight with 283 passengers and 15 crew members on board crashed Thursday in Ukraine near the Russian border. US officials told media that they concluded the plane was shot down by missiles.
- Xinjiang publishes anti-terror brochures
- Security pact sealed with Afghanistan
- President Xi encourages international cultural exchanges
- Premier Li: China willing to help Afghan infrastructure
- Chinese FM: China, Asia-Pacific become community of shared destiny
- Foreign minister remarks on possibility of China-Japan summit