Obama authorizes 350 more military personnel to Iraq
Updated: 2014-09-03 09:26
WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama on Tuesday authorized some 350 additional military personnel to be sent to Iraq, hours after the Islamic State militant group released a video showing the beheading of a second American journalist.
White House Spokesman Josh Earnest said the move was taken at the request of the State Department and meant to protect American diplomatic facilities and personnel in Baghdad, the national capital of Iraq.
- Xinjiang publishes anti-terror brochures
- Security pact sealed with Afghanistan
- President Xi encourages international cultural exchanges
- Premier Li: China willing to help Afghan infrastructure
- Chinese FM: China, Asia-Pacific become community of shared destiny
- Foreign minister remarks on possibility of China-Japan summit