Czech appeals for closing Schengen external border immediately
Updated: 2015-08-26 09:01
PRAGUE - Czech Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Andrej Babis requested on Tuesday that the external border of Schengen area be closed immediately, saying that most European countries in this area are against the refugees' influx.
He said that NATO should help with the job.
Babis said that if the countries on the Schengen area's edge failed to surveillance the external borders, the highest level of protection must be arranged. He said the EU must told the refugees that "you can not come to us" as they would become unemployed people in the EU and they can't take the local social benefits immediately.
According to Babis, it would be necessary to set up a huge refugee camp and then make a selection. "Divide them into those who really need help, especially mothers and children, and the economic refugees," the Deputy Prime Minister was quoted as saying.
Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka said that the only solution to defending against the refugees' influx is to end the war in Syria and Libya. He said it is also necessary to ensure the protection of the external borders of the EU and the efficient return policy for people who did not receive asylum in the EU.
- Three killed, 8 missing after fishing boat capsizing in S.Korea
- Migration crisis tears at EU's cohesion and tarnishes its image
- Britain signals move towards air strikes in Syria
- Snowden accepts Norwegian prize via video link
- Tokyo ditches Olympic logo amid new plagiarism allegation
- Japan criticized for protest over UN chief's visit to Beijing