Miss Universe crowns wrong beauty queen in live TV gaffe
Updated: 2015-12-22 10:18
Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach waves after being crowned Miss Universe at the 2015 Miss Universe Pageant in Las Vegas, Nevada Dec 20, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
Wurtzbach appeared to take the blunder in her stride.
"It's a very non-traditional crowning moment," she said backstage afterward in a video clip of a conversation with Miss USA posted by the Miss Universe pageant on its Twitter feed. "It is very 2015."
Earlier, when asked why she wanted to be Miss Universe, Wurtzbach said: "I will use my voice to influence the youth and I would raise awareness to certain causes like HIV awareness, that is timely and relevant to my country."
It was the first Miss Universe title for a contestant from the Philippines in more than 40 years.
- 10 execs suspected of faking pollution data
- Top 10 social media events of 2015
- Life sentences for east China child traffickers
- Shenzhen leaps to top of efficiency list in 2 yrs
- Pandas prefer choosing their own sex partners, researchers find
- Tycoons exchange views on building a cyberspace community of shared future
- Iraq holds its first beauty contest in 40 years
- Libyan factions sign UN deal to form unity government
- World's refugees and displaced exceed record 60 million
- No specific, credible terror threats against US: Obama
- UN Security Council adopts resolution to cut off Islamic State funding
- California shooters' ex-neighbor charged with supporting terrorists