Premier Li to receive Aung San Suu Kyi
Updated: 2016-08-15 16:46
By Hu Yongqi(chinadaily.com.cn)
At the invitation of Premier Li Keqiang, Myanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi will start a five-day visit to China on Wednesday, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
She will hold meetings with China's leaders to exchange views on China-Myanmar relations and issues of common concern, and also visit cities other than Beijing, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said.
Suu Kyi's trip, the first visit by a member of Myanmar's new administration to China, will render great significance to promote a comprehensive strategic partnership between the two neighbors, Lu said.
The premier's invitation was offered on the basis that the position Suu Kyi holds ranks second in Myanmar's leadership structure after its president (U Htin Kyaw), Lu explained.
"Referring to China's protocol tradition and the state counselor's previous visits to other countries, Premier Li invited her for the visit and will preside over meetings," Lu said.
- Nepal's newly elected PM takes oath
- Texas gun law worries incoming students
- China vows to deepen economic, trade cooperation with ASEAN
- Fire guts Emirates jet after hard landing; 1 firefighter dies
- Egypt's Nobel-laureate scientist dies of illness in US
- THAAD muscle flexing unmasks anxiety over declining hegemony