Cuban boxers to train in China
Updated: 2013-08-01 14:22
HAVANA - Four Cuban boxers will begin training in China this week in preparation for the 2013 World Amateur Boxing Championships in Kazakhstan in October and the World Series of Boxing the following month, a sports official said Tuesday.
Eduardo Limonta, secretary of the Cuban Boxing Federation, said the team is headed by 18-year-old heavyweight Yoandy Toirac, who is considered the promising star of Cuban boxing in the 91kg plus category.
Toirac won the gold medal at the Cordova Cardin Memorial Tournament in Cuba this year, defeating China's Zhang Zhilei, runner-up at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
The small Cuban delegation also includes Leinier Pero, in the 91kg category, Ramon Luis (75kg) and Arisnoides Despaigne (69kg), according to the website of Radio Habana Cuba.
Limonta said the team will stay "in Beijing for 16 days, preparing for the year's main events".
"We've already had similar experiences in China, where we'll make the most of fights against several of the top boxers they have in the large divisions," Limonta added.
Cuba's boxing squad features 36 pre-selected boxers with the main goal this year of doing well at the Kazakhstan world championships and the world series.
The squad will also face Mexico's Guerreros (Warriors) on August 29 and 30, prior to the world series, and participate in the Pan-American Championship in Chile from Aug 27 to Sept 3.
Cuba's boxers have garnered 67 Olympic medals and 116 titles in world championships.
- Boxer Mayweather tops highest-paid list of US pro sportsmen
- Boxers Donaire, Marquez vying for Fighter of Year plum
- Boxer is fiery as a fighter, and debonair as a delegate
- Cuban boxer wins boxing men's 52kg gold medal
- Boxer explains China age remarks
- China's women boxers eye on historical gold in London
- Tanzanian boxer strives to win Olympic gold
- Chinese boxer makes history with ticket to London
- Australian boxer might miss Olympics after failed doping test
- Aussie woman boxer Elmir banned for doping
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
- 'Dark Knight' wins weekend box office
Finding inner peace on ocean wave
Duo find new lives, homes a world apart
Carbon market helps cut emissions
Attractive Cities for Foreigners
Terraces on top of the world
Today's Top News
7.5% GDP growth 'in reach' this year
Surveillance plan files declassified
Xi vows to protect maritime interests
Snowden's father thankful to Putin
UN to probe alleged Syria chemical attacks
Saudi blogger faces lashes for 'insulting Islam'
Memorial a tribute to WWII 'comfort women'
Hollywood unpaid for movies
Geared to go
The place to be