Big data for Spring Festival: 8m overseas trips, etc
Updated: 2016-02-15 14:15
During the traditional Chinese New Year holiday from Feb 7-13, hundreds of millions of people travelled across the nation, while many chose to travel overseas to spend the most important holiday, traditionally a time for family reunion. Here with the help of data we take a look at some of the major changes during this year's weeklong holiday.
Passengers are seen outside a railway station in Hefei, capital of East China's Anhui province, Jan 31, 2016. Railway transportation witnessed a travel peak as the Spring Festival draws near. [Photo/Xinhua]
1. Passenger trips reach 400 million
Passenger trips reached 400 million during the seven-day holiday from Feb 7 to 13, up 6.7 percent from 2015, Ministry of Transport data showed. The holiday-goers travelled by train, road, air and even by car pooling. Chinese ride-hailing apps like Didi offered help in the festival travel rush for the first time. Car pool trips arranged via Didi were equivalent to an extra 1,500 high-speed trains with eight carriages.
- ASEAN wants good US-China relations
- Jury finds NYPD's Liang guilty in fatal shooting
- Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock
- Munich Security Conference opens amid concerns
- General strike against pension reform brings Greece to standstill
- Madrid airport sounds alarm after bomb threat on Saudi plane