Ten paintings to remember Xu Beihong
Updated: 2015-07-02 06:00
By Lin Qi(chinadaily.com.cn)
Battle by Xu Beihong. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]
"I remembered that antique shops visited our house two to three times a week. They brought paintings that my father would be interested in buying. He collected more than 1,200 paintings, some dating back to the Tang Dynasty, and of modern masters like Zhang Daqian and Qi Baishi. They were the sheer pleasure of his life.
"He thought about building an art museum to show his collections. Also he shared his collections with students so that they better understood Chinese painting and knew how to create."
Liao Jingwen, mother of Xu Qingping, died suddenly at her Beijing home last month. She was 92.
The day her husband died, Liao donated his collection and the family property to the country, which were later converted into the Xu Beihong Memorial.
- Injured ROK tourists in intensive care
- 36 dead, 26 missing after banca capsized in C. Philippines
- Thai navy plans to buy three Chinese subs
- Mass casualties in Indonesian military plane crash
- Japan's LDP lawmaker denounces Abe's security policies
- More than 100 feared dead in Indonesian military plane crash