Ten paintings to remember Xu Beihong
Updated: 2015-07-02 06:00
By Lin Qi(chinadaily.com.cn)
Dawn by Xu Beihong. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]
This year marks the 120th anniversary of the birth of respected painter and art educator Xu Beihong (1895-1953). At a recent commemoration at the Grand Hall of the People, staff from the Central Academy of Fine Arts, which Xu headed from 1946 until his death, remembered Xu's artistic legacies and his strong personality.
Famed oil painter Jin Shangyi, 81, who enrolled in CAFA in 1949, said he was most impressed by Xu's passion for art and education at the time.
"He was in his 50s and not in good health. One day he summoned all the students to the sports ground. After we sat down, he started to lecture on Western art history.
"He didn't teach class then. Still, he took art education pretty seriously," Jin recalled.
Xu Qingping, the youngest son of the artist, said, "My father firmly believed that seeking truth and being knowledgeable are essential tasks of an artist. All his life, father lived up to the belief."
- Mass casualties in Indonesian military plane crash
- Japan's LDP lawmaker denounces Abe's security policies
- More than 100 feared dead in Indonesian military plane crash
- More than 50 may die in Indonesian plane crash
- Japan's Diet gets 1.65m signatures against security bills
- Thailand's first MERS case declared free of deadly virus
- Western Europe swelters in long-lasting heat wave
- Top 10 shareholders of the Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Massive Hello Kitty theme park opens to visitors
- New, modern terminal of Pyongyang Intl Airport put into use
- Ten paintings to remember Xu Beihong
- Obama hails new chapter in US-Brazil relations
- Boxers top Forbes highest paid celebrities list
- Not so glamorous: Glastonbury ends with sea of rubbish
Seventh China-US strategic dialogue
Premier Li embarks on Latin America visit
What do we know about AIIB
Full coverage of Boao Forum for Asia
Annual legislative and political advisory sessions
Spring Festival trends reflect a changing China
Today's Top News
Economic growth driving force for China's future mobility: Think tank
Student savior risked life to rescue foreigners
White House lifts ban on cameras during public tours
China, Canada seek to increase agricultural trade
A Canadian comes to Xi'an, finds personal, business success
Fewer Chinese seek US grad schools
US, Cuba to announce reopening of embassies on Wednesday
China bests MDGS for improved drinking water, sanitation
Geared to go
The place to be