Ancient storehouse open to public as a cafe in Forbidden City
Updated: 2016-09-30 09:04
By Wang Kaihao(chinadaily.com.cn)
A storehouse of the Forbidden City was renovated into a cafe. [Photo/Xinhua]
The storehouse, 1.5 meters below ground level, was built for royal families to store ice. The new cafe is planning to expand its business as a restaurant.
The area is part of a new route open to visitors in the western wing of the museum. The route connects Duanhong Bridge and Palace of Compassion and Tranquility (Cining Gong). The new route is to ease overwhelmingly crowds around the central axis of the museum. It is estimated that one third of its 15 million annual visitors will visit the area in the future.
The Forbidden City is China's imperial palace from 1420 to 1911.
Related:Coloring book of Palace Museum now on sale
- Chongqing police crackdown on telecom fraud
- Expert: China needs a safety makeover
- Treasure hunters taken in by rumor of buried jade
- Deepest rail station coming to Badaling Great Wall
- Look down if you dare: world's most vertigo-inducing glass skywalks
- Boy with leukemia overcomes lonely hospital trips, keeps studying