Egypt proposes ceasefire in Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Updated: 2014-07-15 10:11
Palestinian residents of Nicaragua hold Palestinian flags during a march in Managua against Israel's military action in Gaza July 14, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]
GAZA/JERUSALEM - Egypt has proposed a ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza that would start on Tuesday, ending a week of cross-border warfare, and be followed by talks to prevent further hostilities.
Netanyahu defends Israeli offensive in Gaza
The official appeared to put a positive spin on the Egyptian initiative, saying Hamas had been weakened military by Israeli air and sea bombardments.
Hamas's initial reaction was more dismissive.
Sami Abu Zuhri, a Hamas spokesman in Gaza, said the Islamist group had not received an official ceasefire proposal, and he repeated its position that demands it has made must be met before it lays down its weapons.
"Such a proposal was not presented to us so that we can study and it, and therefore it does not commit us to doing anything," he said.
Gaza health officials said at least 180 Palestinians, many of them civilians, have been killed in the worst flare-up of Israeli-Palestinian violence in two years.
There have been no fatalities in Israel, largely due to its Iron Dome anti-missile system, but the frequent rocket salvoes have disrupted life and sent hundreds of people racing to shelters.
Under the proposal announced by Egypt's Foreign Ministry "de-escalation arrangements" would take effect at 0600 GMT on Tuesday, pending implementation of a full ceasefire within 12 hours of that time.
High-level delegations from Israel and the Palestinian factions would hold separate talks in Cairo within 48 hours to consolidate the ceasefire and conclude "confidence-building measures."
The Arab League said in a statement it welcomed the Egyptian initiative "to protect the lives of the innocent."
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who reached an agreement with Hamas in April that led to the formation of a unity government last month, welcomed the proposal and urged its acceptance, official Palestinian news agency WAFA said.
US Secretary of State John Kerry will hold talk with Egyptian officials in Cairo on situation on Tuesday, Egypt's state news agency said.
Hours before the proposal was announced, Gaza militants resumed rocket attacks on Tel Aviv after a 24-hour lull, while Israel kept up its strikes in the Gaza Strip and deployed infantry and armour along the frontier.
Israel, late on Monday bombed the house of Marwan Issa, a top commander of Hama's armed wing, in Bureij refugee camp. There were no immediate reports of casualties.