Senior US envoy to visit Japan, S Korea, China
Updated: 2015-09-30 09:24
WASHINGTON -- US Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken will visit Japan, South Korea and China in an East Asia tour next week, the State Department said Tuesday.
During the Oct 5-10 tour, his second over the last nine months, Blinken will discuss key political, economic, and security issues with a wide range of government officials and non-governmental experts, the State Department said in a press release.
Blinken will first travel to Japan on Oct 5, to meet with senior government officials in Tokyo "to reaffirm the US-Japan alliance and discuss a wide range of shared interests."
While in Tokyo, he will also meet with business leaders, students, young innovators and entrepreneurs to highlight the importance of innovation to the two countries, the release said.
Then Blinken will travel to Seoul on Oct 6-7 to meet with government officials "to discuss the strong US-Republic of Korea alliance and cooperation on bilateral and global issues, including on the new frontiers of cyberspace, health, environment, and space."
On Oct 7, he will give remarks on the US-South Korea alliance ahead of President Park Geun-hye's visit to Washington on Oct 16.
On Oct 8, Blinken will travel to Beijing to meet with Chinese government officials following on Chinese President Xi Jinping's state visit to the US last week.
The senior US diplomat "will discuss next steps in US-China engagement and areas for cooperation on global challenges, as well as exchange views on bilateral and regional issues," the release said.
His final stop will be in Shanghai on Oct 9 to meet with the government officials, financial experts, entrepreneurs, and US government exchange program alumni to discuss a range of bilateral and regional issues.
- Typhoon Dujuan makes landfall, disrupts traffic
- China announces contribution to EU's 315 billion-euro investment plan
- Chinese population may face sharp drop from 2017
- Plan in pipeline to save groundwater
- Forbidden City visitor cap to stay during holiday
- Watch your behavior overseas, Chinese tourists told
- Senior US envoy to visit Japan, S Korea, China
- Russia, US agree to cooperate in solving Syria crisis: Russian FM
- Iranian President calls Iran deal victory over war
- LatAm experts praise Xi on yuan, globalization
- Evidence found of summertime water flows on Mars: study
- Dogs surf in contest in California