Former US First Lady Nancy Reagan dies at 94
Updated: 2016-03-07 00:31
Former US President Ronald Reagan and his wife Nancy wave while attending a gala celebrating his 83rd birthday in Washington in this February 3, 1994 file photo. [Photo/Agencies]
March 6 - Nancy Reagan, the former actress who was fiercely protective of husband Ronald Reagan through a Hollywood career, eight years in the White House, an assassination attempt and her husband's Alzheimer's disease, died on Sunday at age 94, the Reagan library said.
Michael Reagan said on Twitter he was saddened by his stepmother's death. "She is once again with the man she loved," he wrote.
Reagan became one of the most influential first ladies in US history during her Republican husband's presidency from 1981 to 1989.
Her husband, who affectionately called her "Mommy" while she called him "Ronnie," died in 2004 after a long struggle with Alzheimer's, the progressive brain disorder that destroys memory.
As Nancy Davis, she was a Hollywood actress during the 1940s and 1950s and married Reagan, a prominent film actor, in 1952. She then served as first lady of California during her husband's stint as California governor from 1967 to 1975 before moving into the White House after his decisive victory over incumbent Democratic President Jimmy Carter in 1980.
Her most publicized project as first lady was the "Just Say No" anti-drug campaign. After her husband developed Alzheimer's disease, she became an advocate for discovering a cure.
She was diminutive and publicly soft spoken but Nancy Reagan's strong will, high-tone tastes and clout with her husband made her a controversial figure during his presidency.
- US President Obama delivers final State of the Union address
- US First Lady invites children of military families to White House
- US first lady promotes girls' education in London
- US first lady meets Cambodian female students
- US first lady promotes role of arts in education
- US first lady visits respected Chengdu school
- Temple fair with 700 years history staged in Henan
- World in photos: Feb 29 - Mar 6
- International status is rising
- CEOs at two sessions
- Boao airport all set for upcoming Asian forum
- Snapshots from the 'two sessions'
- Turn of virtual reality cameras at two sessions
- China's home-made expedition mothership 'Zhang Qian' to be launched in March
Maps show first meeting of East, West
Spring festival show hits Toronto
Building education superhighway for youth
Rep. Mike Honda: serving public from the heart
China's economy: slowdown clouds reality
Florida enticing Chinese tourists
Today's Top News
What ends Jeb Bush's White House hopes
Investigation for Nicolas's campaign
Will US-ASEAN meeting be good for region?
Accentuate the positive in Sino-US relations
Dangerous games on peninsula will have no winner
National Art Museum showing 400 puppets in new exhibition
Finest Chinese porcelains expected to fetch over $28 million
Monkey portraits by Chinese ink painting masters
Geared to go
The place to be