President Xi presented with 'key to Prague'
Updated: 2016-03-30 08:19
In some countries, an ornamental key - the 'Key to the City' - is presented to esteemed visitors, residents, or others whom the city wishes to honor. This practice is a variation on the Freedom of the City tradition, and has a similar symbolic meaning; evoking medieval walled cities, the gates of which would be guarded during the day and locked at night, the key symbolizes the freedom of the recipient to enter and leave the city at will, as a trusted friend of city residents.
Let us to see which cities have presented keys to President Xi Jinping.
Visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping (L) is presented with the key to Prague March 29, 2016. [Photo/Xinhua]
- US officials applaud China for nuclear cooperation
- Beyonce, Easter Bunny highlight Obama's final egg roll
- Egypt Air flight hijacked and lands in Cyprus
- Brazil party set to abandon Rousseff
- Man shot and wounded by police at US Capitol complex
- One terror suspect arrested in Rotterdam at France's request