Djokovic retains Shanghai Masters title
Updated: 2013-10-13 21:15
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina at the Shanghai Masters tennis tournament October 13, 2013. [Photo/Agencies]
SHANGHAI - Defending champion Novak Djokovic overcame a second set slump to defeat the sixth seed Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina for his second Shanghai ATP Masters title on Sunday.
One day after defeating world No 1 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals, Del Potro continued his surging form, grabbing the second set 6-3 after dropping the opening set at 6-1.
Both players were able to hit winners in the deciding third set and the match was forced into tiebreak, where the Serb was the more consistent one and sealed the set and the victory at 7-3.
By lifting his seventh trophy of the season, 26-year-old Djokovic improved his slim chances of overhauling Rafael Nadal in the battle for yearending No 1 in the ATP Rankings, and with the victory, Djokovic improved his winning streak to 20 matches on Chinese soil.
Djokovic earned $729,725 in prize money and 1,000 ATP Ranking points, while del Potro picked up $357,800 and 600 points. Both players have already qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals, to be held at The O2 in London from November 4-11.
- Djokovic retains Shanghai Masters title
- Del Potro sets up Djokovic final showdown
- Nadal to take on Del Potro, Djokovic to face Tsonga at Shanghai Masters semis
- Federer out, Nadal and Djokovic in at Shanghai Masters
- Djokovic beats Nadal 6-3, 6-4 to win China Open
- Djokovic edges past Verdasco at China Open
- Li Na-Djokovic charity match to unveil China Open
- Victoria Beckham S/S 2014 presented during NYFW
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
Time to reduce dollar's hold
Rallying to the rescue of fishermen
Writers chase dreams online
US Sinophile traces the evolution of Chinese words
Officials: A matter of faith
Today's Top News
Going green can make good money sense
90 killed in stampede in central India
Senate leader 'confident' fiscal crisis can be averted
China's Sept CPI rose 3.1%
No new findings over Arafat's death: official
Investment week kicks off in Dallas
Chinese firm joins UK airport enterprise
Working group to discuss sea issues
Geared to go
The place to be