Sany lawsuit resumes
Updated: 2013-07-12 17:11
By Liu Xiaozhuo (chinadaily.com.cn)
Chinese machinery manufacturer Sany's affiliated company Ralls filed a lawsuit against US President Barack Obama last year for issuing an executive order blocking the company's wind farm project in the US state of Oregon. The case began proceedings in court several times and it resumed in court on Thursday in the US, according to CCTV report.
The news was confirmed by Sany sources and the company will hold press conference about the case at a later time.
Last September, President Obama issued an executive order prohibiting Sany's wind farm project，saying it "might take action that threatens to impair the national security of the United States." Also in July, the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) issued an order suspending the wind farm for the same reason.
The executive order did not cite any evidence of how the Chinese company posed a security threat to the US, wrote a Forbes report.
As a result, Sany filed suits against Obama and CFIUS. And in February the district court in Washington accepted the case.
Wu Jialiang, vice-general manager of Sany and CEO of Ralls said at a press conference that the whole event was a political show and doubted that this was any sort of discrimination against Chinese business investments.
Sany's official website said that there is an invisible hand behind the blocking of its wind farm in the US.
As the case is reopened, the essential content of Sany's appeals will focus on President Obama's violation of procedural justice in signing an executive order that has caused property loss for the company's subsidiary, Ralls.
Regarding of the effect of the case, Chen Fengying, an expert on international economy, said the action of Sany's suit against President Obama will be more important than the outcome.
Chen added that the suit gives a sign to the US that Chinese institutions investing in the country will protect their interests and this will set an example.