Escaped stowaway caught by police in south China
Updated: 2015-01-20 09:22
The escaped stowaway is caught by the armed police on Monday. [Photo/Xinhua]
NANNING -- A man who escaped from police Sunday evening was apprehended in Pingxiang City in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region Monday, local authorities said.
Police came across a group of five stowaways at about 8:20 pm Sunday in Pingxiang, which borders Vietnam, but they resisted capture and attacked the police with knives.
Two of them were shot dead, two were apprehended at the time and another fled the scene. The escaped man was caught at 7:35 pm Monday,police said.
The Ministry of Public Security has waged a campaign against organized human smuggling since April last year along southwestern border regions.
To date, police have busted 262 human smuggling cases, seizing 352 suspects who allegedly organized such activities and 852 suspects who attempted to cross the border illegally.
- EU to appeal against court ruling that Hamas be removed from terrorist list: official
- UN chief urges immediate, full end to hostilities in East Ukraine
- Eurostar suspends services again due to fire
- Davos explores economic solution
- Russia marks 72nd anniversary of breakthrough of Leningrad
- The world in photos: Jan 12-18