Li Na expecting first baby
Updated: 2015-01-19 16:51
Reigning Australian Open champion Li Na and husband Jiang Shan are expecting their first child.
The retired dual Grand Slam winner announced her pregnancy at Rod Laver Arena, where she claimed the title a year ago, during a ceremony ahead of the night session on Monday's opening day of the tournament.
"This summer, Jiang Shan and I expect our first child," Li said, joking that her husband had got her pregnant quickly, like serving an ace.
Rod Laver Arena is a lucky place for Li as she played three finals there against different opponents.
Speculation surrounding her pregnancy had been rife as media and fans noticed she was wearing a baggy dress and sneakers during ceremonies.
The Chinese sports idol shocked fans by hanging up her racket in September, on the eve of a tournament in Wuhan, her home city.
- EU to appeal against court ruling that Hamas be removed from terrorist list: official
- UN chief urges immediate, full end to hostilities in East Ukraine
- Eurostar suspends services again due to fire
- Davos explores economic solution
- Russia marks 72nd anniversary of breakthrough of Leningrad
- The world in photos: Jan 12-18