Peking Opera headdress angers conservationists
Updated: 2015-04-24 11:18
In today's trending, feathered headdress angers animal rights activists, students use Lamborghini to sell clothes, a fat thief is caught while a fat accident victim is unscathed, and pigs run wild at tourist attraction.
|The headdress Liu Guijuan posted on her Weibo account which she said is made out of the feathers of 80 kingfishers and worth 120, 000 yuan ($19,400).[Photo/ Sina Weibo]|
Feathered headdress draws flurry of criticism
A famous Peking Opera singer was attacked by conservationists after she posted a photo of one of her headdresses which she said is worth 120, 000 yuan ($19,400) online.
Liu Guijuan, also a member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) in Tianjin, said on Thursday that the headdress was made out of the feathers of 80 kingfishers on her Weibo account.
Her comments immediately drew strong criticism from many conservationists who accused her of torturing animals. Liu later deleted the post.
The headdresses used by Peking Opera singers usually feature feathers which are pulled off live birds because such feathers are of higher quality. Many Weibo users suggested that opera singers use imitation feathers to replace the real ones.
- Are you prepared to welcome the second royal baby?
- Spain recalls Venezuelan ambassador over Maduro conspiracy comments
- Anniversary of Armenian massacre marked
- DPRK to establish 2nd intl tourist zone
- Parade rehearsal held for Victory over Fascism in Russia
- Kim likely to visit Russia in May for war victory ceremony