China's top scientific achievements in 2015
Updated: 2015-12-25 07:14
A graphic shows different uses of Baidou navigation satellite. [Photo/CFP]
Beidou system extends its reach to global users
A new-generation satellite of China's Beidou Navigation Satellite System was launched in March, enabling the Beidou system to expand its coverage out of the Asia-Pacific area.
The Beidou system, named after the Chinese term for the Big Dipper constellation, is a domestic alternative to the United States-operated GPS. The first Beidou satellite was launched in 2000. By 2012, a regional network of the Beidou system had taken shape, providing positioning, navigation, timing and short-messaging services in China and several other Asian countries.
- More aid from China set for Syria
- Japanese journalist reportedly being held in Syria
- New York City has warmest Christmas Eve on record
- One dead as fight leads to fatal shooting at North Carolina mall
- Trump's lead bodes well for Hillary Clinton's presidential bid
- Spanish Socialist leader insists no support for Rajoy