First lady Peng leads fight against tuberculosis
Updated: 2016-03-24 07:56
By Shan Juan(chinadaily.com.cn)
Peng, a well-known Chinese soprano, was appointed as WHO goodwill ambassador for tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS in 2011.
Her efforts promoting public health date back 10 years. In China, she became the health ambassador for HIV/AIDS prevention for the Ministry of Health in January 2006 and the national ambassador for TB control and prevention in March 2007.
The incidence rate declined to 63.4 per 100,000, compared with 71.1 per 100,000 in 2011. The mortality rate dropped by 23 percent during the same period, said Wang, who cited a nationwide TB surveillance network.
- Police issue wanted notice for suspect after Brussels attacks
- China eyes cooperation plan for Lancang-Mekong countries
- Toronto's colorful former mayor Rob Ford dies of cancer
- NASA's Kepler sees first 'shock breakout' in exploding star
- First case of Zika virus detected in S.Korea
- Syrian mothers: Survival and loss