Activist Gou Hongguo sentenced for subversion
Updated: 2016-08-05 11:46
By CAO YIN in Tianjin(chinadaily.com.cn)
Tianjin No 2 Intermediate People's Court sentenced activist Gou Hongguo to three years in prison with a three-year reprieve for subverting State power on Friday.
Gou pleaded guilty during the trial and said after the verdict announcement: "I accept the result and will not appeal to a higher court."
The trial is part of a series of high-profile cases involving lawyers and activists who are accused of spreading subversive thought and creating domestic conflict.
The verdict said that Gou was influenced by anti-China forces and went abroad to be trained in subversion after meeting Hu Shigen, the leader of an illegal organization, in 2013.
Gou provided money for Hu, lawyer Zhou Shifeng and activist Zhai Yanmin to organize protests and participated in discussions on spreading subversive thought, the verdict said.
Zhai, Hu and Zhou faced the same charges and were sentenced by the court earlier this week.
- Fire guts Emirates jet after hard landing; 1 firefighter dies
- Egypt's Nobel-laureate scientist dies of illness in US
- THAAD muscle flexing unmasks anxiety over declining hegemony
- British police say mental health a significant factor in London knife attack
- Paragliding fans fly over Rigi mountain in Switzerland
- DPRK fires 1 ballistic missile into east waters