8 popular icons on traditional Chinese architecture
Updated: 2014-10-24 07:00
Traditional Chinese architecture has a long history and glorious achievements. The buildings not only have practical functions, but also bear important artistic values. How do they combine the two? Let's see from some details.
Matou wall, which means "horse head wall" in Mandarin, is an important characteristic of Hui-style architecture. In a traditional village where people settled down in family groups, the residences were densely concentrated and the need of fire proofing was strong. The high-standing Matou wall can block a fire from neighboring residence.
|Special: Traditional handicrafts under threat|
- Party points way for rule of law
- Party's leadership "most fundamental guarantee" for rule of law in China
- CPC officials ordered to stop meddling judicial cases
- Rule of law must follow China's path
- Senior justice official probed in Hunan
- PepsiCo sponsors Tsinghua University to train future biz leaders