2018 Winter Olympic ceremonies to be held in Pyeongchang
Updated: 2014-10-16 10:51
SEOUL -- The 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games ceremonies will be held in Pyeongchang rather than nearly city of Gangneung, announced the South Korean government Thursday.
The government and the 2018 Olympic organizing committee had discussed this week whether to renovate an existing sports stadium in Gangneung rather than build a new facility in Pyeongchang suitable for the ceremonies.
The culture ministry later released a statement saying "the venue for the opening and closing ceremonies of the games will be built in Pyeongchang. After the games, the relevant parties will discuss how to make use of the facility."
The new Pyeongchang venue will have a capacity of 40,000.
- Party points way for rule of law
- Party's leadership "most fundamental guarantee" for rule of law in China
- CPC officials ordered to stop meddling judicial cases
- Rule of law must follow China's path
- Senior justice official probed in Hunan
- PepsiCo sponsors Tsinghua University to train future biz leaders