More than 220,000 Rio 2016 tickets sold
Updated: 2016-01-25 14:33
Rio 2016 Olympic mascot Vinicius greets the audience during the inauguration of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Tennis Center in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Dec 12, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
RIO DE JANEIRO - More than 220,000 Olympic Games tickets were secured during the first two days of the last major sales phase for Brazilian residents, Rio 2016 organizers said on Sunday.
The most sought after tickets were for athletics, swimming, football, handball, the opening and closing ceremonies, basketball, volleyball, beach volleyball, tennis, judo and gymnastics.
"About 500,000 tickets became available and the demand was intense, with peaks of more than 3,000 transactions per minute," organizers said in a statement.
Locals can buy tickets from the Rio 2016 tickets website, while non-Brazilian residents can make purchases via authorized ticket resellers in their regions.
More tickets are expected to be become available to Brazilian residents through the ticket resale program launched in October.
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- China's urban unemployment rate steady at 4.05 pct
- German ecologist helps relieve poverty in Sichuan
- 'Unhurried' Guizhou village makes NY Times list of places to visit
- Railway police nab 40,315 fugitives in 2015
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap