Monkey see, humans do
Updated: 2016-01-25 07:43
By Erik Nilsson(China Daily)
[Photos by Wen Zhenxiao/Huang Yiming/Zhao Renbao/Liu Bingsheng/China Daily]
Snub-nosed monkeys play supporting roles to the stars of Shaanxi province's Foping National Nature Reserve－the world's densest wild panda population.
Exceedingly rare brown-and-white giant pandas, leopards and Asiatic black bears also amble over this wilderness.
Red and white giant flying squirrels sail its canopies, while takin trot atop its soil.
The Qinling Mountains' golden snub-nosed monkeys are blue in the face－especially their lips.
The reason for their visage's complexion remains unknown.
Their flat features are likely an adaptation to prevent frostbitten proboscises.
The species' Latin name, Rhinopithecus roxellana, is said to hail from their resemblance to a 1500s concubine with a squashed schnoz.
About 4,000 of these primates roam the Zhouzhi nature reserve in Shaanxi province in bands of up to 400.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap