Some 200 migrants believed dead in Mediterranean shipwreck
Updated: 2015-08-07 00:41
Surviving migrants are brought aboard Irish and Italian Navy life-boats in the area where their wooden boat capsized and sank off the coast of Libya Aug 5, 2015. A boat packed with up to 700 African migrants capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Libya on Wednesday and many were feared dead.[Photo/Agencies]
VALLETTA -- At least 200 migrants are feared to have died after their boat capsized off the Libyan coast on Wednesday with hundreds of people onboard. Some 400 have been rescued so far.
Hopes of rescuing more survivors are fading as Martin Xuereb, director of the Malta-based Migrant Offshore Aid Station which is involved in the rescue effort, tweeted "it's unlikely that any additional survivors will be picked up."
"Those that were on deck would have managed to jump, some of them drowned and some of them were saved," he added.
Officials initially feared hundreds had drowned but the UN refugee agency said 400 people had been rescued. Some 45 are now confirmed dead, according to Times of Malta's report.
The incident took place some 22 nautical miles north of Zuwarah, a major point of departure for many fleeing Libya.
The boat capsized when migrants attempting the Mediterranean crossing to Italy moved all together towards the same side of the boat to ask for help when they saw a vessel approaching them, Federico Fossi from the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) told Rai state television.
Wednesday's migrant disaster was likely to be the biggest one since around 800 people drowned in a single accident when their boat sunk in April off the Libyan coast.
- Some 200 migrants believed dead in Mediterranean shipwreck
- Chinese FM rejects Philippine, Japanese, US claims on South China Sea issue
- 'Major breakthrough' may help solve riddle
- Hiroshima marks 70th anniversary of bombing
- World 'watching' Japan's next move
- Migrant boat capsizes in Mediterranean, at least 25 dead
- 30 historic and cultural neighborhoods to visit in China
- Beijing Museum of Natural History unveils 'Night at the Museum'
- Sun Yang wins third consecutive 800m free gold at worlds
- Aerial escape
- Freshmen of top universities from poorer families work part time to reduce family burden
- 17 armed forces take part in Russia military contest
- A glimpse of traditional Chinese business blocks
- Top 5 most popular drones in China
Seventh China-US strategic dialogue
Premier Li embarks on Latin America visit
What do we know about AIIB
Full coverage of Boao Forum for Asia
Annual legislative and political advisory sessions
Spring Festival trends reflect a changing China
Today's Top News
China willing to work with US to contribute to world peace, stability
China asks further investigation on MH370
Police fatally shoot ax-wielding man at Nashville movie theater
Study-abroad tours in US booming
Malaysia confirms plane debris is from Flight MH370
IMF to study yuan inclusion
LA clinic seeks fertility-market access
China and US discuss ways to fight terror
Geared to go
The place to be