Supercomputer prototype to be finished next year
Updated: 2016-10-14 20:27
By Zhang Min in Tianjin(chinadaily.com.cn)
A model machine of a supercomputer capable of at least a billion calculations per second will be finished by the end of next year, making it the first supercomputer to reach the highest level of independent research and development nationwide by far, Liu Guangming, director of the National Supercomputing Center in Tianjin, said on Monday.
"The new-era exascale supercomputer is noted for its independent development, including chip for computer and operating system and computing environment of work,"Liu said.
The research and development for the prototype has began earlier this month.
"The work of first stage aims to overcome major technical difficulties, which will lead to promotion of computing density and calculation ability of single chip and communication rate of internal data," Liu added.
Some key components, involving CPU and a high-speed interconnection communication and operating system, developed in China independently, will also come into use in the process of developing the model machine.
This high performance computer, named Tianhe-3, will begin operating by 2020 when the research and development work is done.
According to the plan, the government of Tianjin Binhai New Area, the National University of Defense Technology and the National Supercomputing Center are working together on the project.
- Hollande, Merkel, Putin discuss how to implement Minsk peace deal
- Pentagon vows to respond to attempted missile attacks at US destroyer near Yemen
- NASA to invite private companies to install modules on space station
- Trump accused of inappropriate touching by two women
- White House denounces terror attacks in Afghanistan
- Republican voters frown on party establishment's criticism of Donald Trump