Art exhibitions in 2016 worth seeing
Updated: 2016-01-22 09:10
2. Sunken cities: Egypt's lost worlds
A statue of god Hapi unearthed at the Thonis-Heracleion. [Photo/britishmuseum.org]
Address: The British Museum, London, UK
Time: May 19 - Nov 27, 2016
The British Museum is to stage a major exhibition on two lost Egyptian cities Thonis-Heracleion and Canopus, which sunk more than 1,000 years ago.
The exhibition will display nearly 200 pieces of relics unearthed beneath the seabed of the coastal port of Alexandria in Egypt by archaeologists between 1966 and 2012. Collections from the Egyptian Museum are also on display telling the stories of the ancient civilization.
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap
- Powerful snowstorm threatens US East Coast; flights canceled
- 2015 Earth's hottest year on record: US agencies
- 8 killed in car bomb near Russian Embassy in Kabul
- Researchers find possible ninth planet beyond Neptune