Art exhibitions in 2016 worth seeing
Updated: 2016-01-22 09:10
4. Tribal art in the context of modernism
Still Life with Negro Statues, 1918，by Max Pechstein. [Photo/leopoldmuseum.org]
Address: Leopold Museum, Vienna, Austria
Time: Sept 23, 2016 - Sept 1, 2017
The tribal art plays a great role in Western art. It is said that when Pablo Picasso was faced with a room full of African masks at Paris Musée d'Ethnographie, he blurted out, "This is what painting is really about".
The exhibition will show a series of works from representative European modernism artists such as Pablo Picasso, Amedeo Modigliani, Emil Nolde, Max Ernst, and Max Pechstein, as well as over 200 pieces of tribal art pieces collected by the museum's founder Rudolf Leopold.
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap
- Powerful snowstorm threatens US East Coast; flights canceled
- 2015 Earth's hottest year on record: US agencies
- 8 killed in car bomb near Russian Embassy in Kabul
- Researchers find possible ninth planet beyond Neptune