US military mulls more troops to Iraq
Updated: 2014-08-21 02:44
US officials say military planners are weighing the possibility of sending more American forces to Iraq mainly to provide additional security around Baghdad.
A senior US official says the number of troops currently under discussion would be fewer than 300, but there has been no final decision yet by Pentagon leaders.
The talks come as American fighter jets and drones conducted nearly a dozen airstrikes in Iraq since Tuesday when Islamic State militants threatened to kill a second American captive in retribution for any continued attacks.
A US official says the strikes came in the hours after militants released a gruesome video Tuesday showing US journalist James Foley being beheaded.
- Party points way for rule of law
- Party's leadership "most fundamental guarantee" for rule of law in China
- CPC officials ordered to stop meddling judicial cases
- Rule of law must follow China's path
- Senior justice official probed in Hunan
- PepsiCo sponsors Tsinghua University to train future biz leaders