Top 10 social media events of 2015
Updated: 2015-12-18 06:31
The completely made-up onomatopoeia took Chinese Internet by storm since appearing online on Feb 24, and generated hundreds of thousands of hashtags and conversations.
It turns out that the character was created by Jackie Chan describing the particular effects of Bawang organic shampoo in a commercial back to 2004. "Make your hair go 'duaang' Very black! Very shiny! Very soft!" Chan says in the ad.
Because there was no existing Chinese character for the buzzword, some creative Internet users stacked the characters for "Jackie" and "Chan" to represent duang.
- 10 execs suspected of faking pollution data
- Top 10 social media events of 2015
- Life sentences for east China child traffickers
- Shenzhen leaps to top of efficiency list in 2 yrs
- Pandas prefer choosing their own sex partners, researchers find
- Tycoons exchange views on building a cyberspace community of shared future
- Good international coordination a must to combat terrorism
- Chinese embassy: spy report 'sheer fiction'
- US, Cuba agree on restoring commercial flights
- Fed raises interest rates, first rate hike since 2006
- IAEA decides to close nuclear weapons probe of Iran
- Russia, US call for common ground over issues