Yearender: Key words from popular China news stories in 2015
Updated: 2015-12-29 07:02
Xi Jinping and Ma Ying-jeou shook hands on Saturday afternoon in Singapore in the first meeting between leaders of the two sides of the Taiwan Straits since 1949, opening up a historic page in cross-Straits relations. [Photo/Agencies]
On November 7, Xi Jinping and Ma Ying-jeou, the top leaders across the Taiwan Straits held a historic meeting at the Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore.
Hundreds of journalists witnessed their handshake, which lasted for more than a minute that was profoundly significant. With mutual and constructive respect, both sides exchanged frank and in-depth views on issues to promote peaceful development and a national revival.
The two sides reviewed the 66-year extraordinary history of cross-Strait relations, along with its improvement that have occurred during the last 7 years, while summarizing their experiences.
Calling both sides "brothers who are still connected by our flesh even if our bones are broken," Xi told Ma that "at present, we are at the crossroads for choosing the direction and path for future development in cross-Straits relations."
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Former Israeli PM Olmert's jail term cut, cleared of main charge
- Japan, S. Korea reach deal on 'comfort women'
- More than 70 killed in Nigeria bombings, suicide attacks
- Argentina issues orange alert for heat wave