Yearender: Key words from popular China news stories in 2015
Updated: 2015-12-29 07:02
A girl kisses her younger sister while posing for a photo in Chongqing in July. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]
China further relaxed its more than three-decade-old family planning policy, according to a statement issued on Oct 29 by the Communist Party of China Central Committee.
Roughly 90 million Chinese couples will become eligible to have a second child.
It's the latest move by the authorities to fine-tune the family planning policy, amid the nation's changing demo-graphics, which could lead to potential labor shortages in the future if not addressed.
The statement said the country's aging trend would be actively addressed by the universal two-child policy, and that China would continue to stick to the family planning policy as a basic State interest.
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Former Israeli PM Olmert's jail term cut, cleared of main charge
- Japan, S. Korea reach deal on 'comfort women'
- More than 70 killed in Nigeria bombings, suicide attacks
- Argentina issues orange alert for heat wave