Ten breakthroughs of China's military diplomacy in 2014
Updated: 2014-12-31 14:34
(China Military Online)
In 2014, the Chinese military played a more active role in assuming the responsibilities of a major country, deepened its relations with the militaries of many countries, aired its voices more loudly, and carried out military drills in a more practical way. If we have to summarize China's military diplomacy in 2014 with one sentence, the best choice may be "military shows more major-country style".
NO.1 Unprecedented efforts in searching for missing Malaysia Airlines passenger plane
Event playback: The Malaysia Airlines MH370 lost contact with ground control soon after it took off in Kuala Lumpur on March 8 this year. The Chinese military immediately coordinated with the militaries of relevant countries and assigned troops to search for the missing plane.
Reason for listing: The Chinese military assigned 2,273 people and mobilized nine naval vessels, six ship-borne helicopters and five Air Force planes from March 8 to May 1 to consistently search for the missing plane at the Gulf of Thailand, southwest of Sumatra, the South Indian Ocean and other sea areas.
During that period, the Chinese military searched for a total mileage of 50,000 nautical miles, equivalent to travelling around the earth more than twice, searched about one million sq km of sea areas, scanned 12,676-sq-km underwater areas with sonar, and covered tens of millions of sq km with satellite surveillance.
The No.872 naval vessel carried out a 157-day-long normal search in the South Indian Ocean from April 27 to September 20, completing 63,574-km mileage and multi-beam topography measurement of 42,000 sq km. This is an unprecedentedly extensive and massive search undertaken by the Chinese military.
- 'Miss Leisure World' candidates play war game
- Metro use drops slightly as new fare hikes kick in
- Record passenger numbers expected for upcoming chunyun
- Children step out of Daliang Mountain
- 1,000 years on, the art of fish hunting is in safe hands
- National Stadium illuminated to greet New Year countdown
- Death toll from tropical storm rises to 35 in Philippines
- Female fighters in the battle against IS
- China launches frigate for Bangladesh navy
- Divers set to search for AirAsia wreckage after debris, bodies found
- Nurse becomes first Ebola victim diagnosed in Britain
- Remote Canadian polar bear town arouses interest from China